When you connect your iOS device to your computer, iTunes should automatically recognize it and start syncing. However, sometimes nothing happens. Here are some possible solutions:
- Try connecting to a different USB port: The USB port may simply not be working. Try plugging your device into different ports to see if iTunes recognizes your device.
- Check every connection: Make sure the cable is fully plugged in to your device and into the computer.
- Restart your device: Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the device shuts down; press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button to turn it back on; try connecting again.
- Restart your computer: Restart your Mac or PC computer and try connecting again. This resets the USB ports and can sometimes solve problems.
- Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes: An outdated version of iTunes can cause problems with devices using the current version of iOS. Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes on your desktop computer.
- Make sure your desktop computer is using a compatible OS: The Mac version of iTunes requires OSX 10.5.8 or later. The Windows version of iTunes requires Windows 7, Vista, or XP with Service Pack 2 or later.