Many iPhone owners expect that incoming call blocking is a built-in feature of the iPhone. Unfortunately, this is not the case. This feature is controlled by your wireless service provider, and they often charge an exorbitant rate for it. There is, however, one way to deal with unwanted, incoming calls: Silence their rings. Here's an easy way to do it, but you will need a computer with a microphone.
- Open your computer's Sound Recorder (on Windows) or Simple Sound (on Macs).
- Record a few seconds of silence on your computer and name the file using the file extension ".m4r" at the end of the name. Save the file in an easy location (such as the Desktop).
- Open iTunes and insert the new sound file by clicking File> Add File to Library. The new silent ring file will appear under the iTunes Ringtones library on the left panel.
- Sync your iPhone to include the silent music file.
- Assign this ring tone to any contact you want to block or ignore (more about assigning ring tones below).