I was at the T-Mobile store checking out the G1. As I was experimenting, and comparing my iPhone next to the G1, someone came up and asked me; ’should I get this or the iPhone?’
Not a simple answer.
So clearly, time to post the list of questions to help people out:
1) How important is the phone ‘as a phone’ to you? If you use it for business, I would get neither. Instead, focus on which phone ‘and service’ that is most stable for your area.
2) How often do you text? The person I was talking with uses text A LOT! In this case, I would get the G1. Although I did not like the keyboard as much as the Treo or Blackberry, it is still FAR better then trying to type on the iPhone.
3) Listen to a lot of music on the go? You may prefer the iPhone in this case. The iPhone has a dedicated headphone jack and more memory. With the G1 you need to use an extUSB adapter. And as my new friend pointed out; then I cannot listen to music and have the phone plugged in at the same time? Weak.
4) Does size matter? The iphone is a bit smaller.
5) Battery life. Iphone wins here. 300 hours vs. 130. Side note though, you could by 2 extra batteries to catch up.
6) Games. IPhone again. With superior graphic capabilities, its hands down.
7) Camera. G1 here. 3MP vs. 2MP. From a few test pics, neither is great for photos, but OK.