iPhone, iPod touch, iPad
- When your screen is turned off, press Home once to go to the Slide to Unlock screen.
- When you're already in the Home screen, press it once to go to the Spotlight Search screen.
- Press and hold down the Home button for two seconds to activate voice control (iPhone and iPod Touch only).
- Press the Home button to close an open folder (see "How do I use folders to organize my apps?" page 22).
Press the Home button twice to bring up the multitasking menu bar at the bottom of the screen. With the multitasking bar displayed you can do the following:
- Open any of the apps in the multitasking bar by tapping on its icon.
- Close down any of the apps displayed in the multitasking bar by tapping and holding them and then pressing the red minus symbol in the upper left corner of the app when they start wiggling.
- Slide the multitasking bar to the right or left to display the iPod music player controls and all your other apps.
- Tap on the icon to the left of the music controls to lock the screen orientation.
Take a Screenshot:
- Press and hold down the Home button in conjunction with Sleep/Wake button on the top edge of the device to shut off your device completely. Press the Sleep/Wake button again to turn your device back on.
- Press the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time (don't hold them down) to capture an image of the currently displayed screen. The screenshot will be saved to your Camera Roll or Saved Photos album.
- Press the Home button (or the Done button in the top left corner of the screen) to stop watching a video before it's finished.
Triple-click the Home button to use accessibility features
The triple-click feature lets you quickly access accessibility features that make it easier for those with visual, auditory, or other disabilities to use the iOS device.
To activate the triple-click feature, go to Settings >General >Accessibility and tap on the Off arrow next to the "Triple-click Home" label. Then select one of the displayed options:
- Off: Triple-click disabled.
- Toggle VoiceOver: When toggled on, VoiceOver audibly describes the current screen and actions you're taking. Note that with VoiceOver on, you have to double-tap most actions.
- Toggle White on Black: When toggled on, this inverts the colors on the screen, which makes it easier for some to read.
- Ask: Displays a pop-up screen that lets you toggle the previous two accessibility options on and off. In addition, the pop-up screen also lets you turn the Zoom feature on and off. When it's on, zoom enlarges all of the screens, making it easier to see them but forcing you to scroll up/down and right/left to see the whole screen.