By Conner Carey on Mon, 04/10/2017
Deleting books from Kindle, whether your Kindle device, app, or cloud, isn’t nearly as straightforward as I’d like it to be. Permanently deleting books from Kindle or Kindle Cloud is possible but not obvious; mostly, I think, because Amazon doesn’t want you to accidentally delete a book you’ve purchased. Often, when people want to delete a book from Kindle, what they’re really trying to do is delete the book from their Kindle device or remove it from the Kindle app on iPhone or iPad. But they usually want to keep the Amazon e-book in the Kindle Cloud, since they bought it. There are a lot of different ways to remove or delete Kindle books and a few different places from which you might want to remove or delete them. So we’re going to cover how to delete books from Kindle devices, as well as how to remove books from the Kindle app on iPhone or iPad, and how to permanently delete books from your Kindle Cloud.
The Kindle app on iPhone and iPad is similar to Apple’s iBooks. You can store e-books and PDFs from the Kindle Cloud on your device, download ebook samples via the Book Browser, and read to your heart’s content. You can read Kindle books on your Kindle device or download the Kindle app and read all you want. But when it’s time to delete a couple books from your device, how do you remove those Kindle books? We’ll go over all of your options for removing and deleting Kindle books from your Kindle device, iPhone, iPad, or Kindle Cloud. The table of contents below can help you jump to the information you need:
Regardless of what model of Kindle you have, deleting books is very similar. However, if you want to permanently delete books from your Amazon Kindle Library, skip to deleting books from Kindle Cloud. This method will remove the book from your Kindle device while allowing you to keep the book you purchased in your Kindle Cloud and as a part of your Amazon Kindle account. Here’s how to delete books from your Kindle device:
How to Delete Books from a Kindle or Kindle Keyboard:
- This model has the 5-way directional controller. We’ll use that button in the next steps to delete the book
- Find the book you want to delete.
- Select the book’s name from Home screen or your Kindle Library, then press the Left toggle on the 5-way controller.
- Choose Remove from Device. Press the center of the 5-way controller.
How to Delete Books from a Kindle Touch, Voyage, Fire, & Paperwhite:
- Go to your Kindle Library, and find the Kindle book you want to delete.
- Press and hold the book’s cover.
- Tap Remove from Device.
If your Kindle device isn't listed above, follow how to delete books from a Kindle Touch, Voyage, etc. If you have a Kindle that's all touch screen, the method will be about the same when removing books from your Kindle device, regardless of which model you have. Remember that books you remove from your Kindle device are still available in the Kindle Cloud, which means if you want to download them later and read them again (or loan your book to a friend), you can without buying the book again.
In the Kindle app, you have a Library with all of your books. Book samples and PDFs you've downloaded to your device can be deleted, but e-books you've purchased are stored in the Kindle Cloud and cannot be deleted within the app or on Kindle devices. They can, however, be archived, which means the book is removed from the Kindle app on your iPhone or iPad but remains in the Cloud and available to be re-downloaded at any time. To delete a book from the Kindle app on iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Kindle app on your iPad or iPhone.
- Navigate to your Library. You can do this by selecting the icon in the top left corner of the screen.
Tap either Library or All Items.
- At the bottom, select Device. Now you're viewing only the books downloaded to your iPhone or iPad. These are the books you're able to read even when you're offline (no Wi-Fi or cellular connection).
- In the bottom left corner is an icon that lets you switch between viewing your items in list mode and grid mode.
If you’re viewing your items in list mode, archive a book or delete a sample by swiping left and selecting either Delete (samples & PDFs) or Archive (purchased books).
If you’re viewing your items in grid mode, tap and hold to see your options such as Delete Permanently (samples & PDFs) or Remove from Device (purchased books).
Books removed (archived) from your device will still be found in the Kindle Cloud. See below to learn how to permanently delete Kindle books from the cloud. It’s good to be aware, however, that if you delete a book from the Kindle Cloud, it’s gone. That means you will have to buy it again if you decide to go back and read that book. However, books deleted from your device remain in the Kindle Cloud in case you ever want to read them again. Archiving your books allows your iPhone or iPad to create more space while not permanently deleting the books you’ve previously purchased. But if you want to permanently delete a book from your Kindle Cloud, continue below.
You have unlimited storage for Kindle books in the Amazon Cloud. You can store as many wonderful novels in the Kindle Cloud and never run out of space for keeping them. However, there are other reasons you might want to permanently delete books from your account. It’s important to reiterate that books removed from the cloud are gone. You will need to purchase them again should you change your mind. It’s likely for this reason that you can’t delete books from the Kindle Cloud on your iPhone, iPad, or Kindle device. In order to permanently delete a book, we’ll have to log in to our Amazon account in a web browser. To permanently delete books from the Kindle Cloud and your Amazon Kindle Library:
- On your computer, open Amazon.com in a web browser and log in to your account.
- Hover your mouse over Account & Lists at the top. This will show a drop down menu.
- From that menu, select Manage Your Content and Devices.
- You may be prompted to re-enter your log-in information.
- You’ll see a list of all your books that are in the Cloud and/or on your devices. Find the book(s) you want to delete.
- Click to check the box to the left of the title you want to remove.
- Click Delete near the top.
Confirm, “Yes, delete permanently.”
Top Image Credit: Denys Prykhodov / Shutterstock