By Dig Om on Thu, 05/16/2013
This Adventure-Proof series examines and reviews the best in rugged iOS gear, apps, and accessories to help iDevice users enjoy outdoor adventures and extreme environments with their mobile tech safely in tow.
I've come across many a good Bluetooth speaker in my time and throughout the years have heard some amazing sound come out of very small packages. Tech-savvy adventurers like myself have many options of great Bluetooth speakers. And after spending some time with HMDX's Jam XT ($69.99), I have a new favorite.
The Jam XT is the successor to the original Jam Bluetooth speaker, the first in a line of popular Bluetooth portable speakers known for packing a punch. With the new Jam XT, we now have an adventure-ready, heavy-duty version of this award-winning speaker.
The Jam XT is ideal for anyone, but especially for those inclined toward a more adventurous life. It's not waterproof or submersible, but short of that, this small speaker is built to go with you wherever you may roam, and boasts a very impressive IP-64 rating.
Its small size (barely 3 inches high and wide) makes this speaker a perfect companion for bike rides, to rock climbing, cross country skiing, and most everything in between. With its built-in carabiner, you can simply clip the Jam XT onto your jacket or pack, and you're good to go. The Jam XT's diminutive stature guarantees you'll barely notice it hanging from you.
The sound emanating from the Jam XT is crisp, bold, and crystal clear. While not excessively heavy on the bass end, it's more than capable of pumping excellent-quality audio that will sound plenty loud at a close range of 10-15 feet. You'll have no trouble grooving to your tunes while you exercise, adventure, or just work around the house with the Jam XT.
So what makes it more durable and rugged than your average Bluetooth speaker? The Jam XT reflects some careful consideration as to what makes an extreme duty speaker ready for action and adventure. The IP 64-rated exterior consists of a splash-resistant speaker driver, a rubberized, shock-absorbing housing, as well as a splash proof cover flap to protect any ports and jacks. Plus, the built-in carabiner makes clipping on this little gem a snap.
The Jam is the best hybrid of portability and durability I've come across. If you are looking for a versatile and portable Bluetooth speaker that can produce abundant sound for your personal use, look no further. Whether at home, on a construction site, out on the trails, or on any other extreme adventure, the Jam XT is one of the best ruggedized Bluetooth speakers at this size.
* Small, highly portable size and weight. Adds minimal bulk;
* Rated splash proof, drop proof, and dirt proof. (IP-64);
* Wirelessly stream music from your iDevice from up to 30-feet away;
* Comes in a rainbow of cool colors!
* Unless a carabiner has been made for technical climbing (aka: weight bearing) I tend to go through them like nobody’s business. That said, I suspect the Jam XT speaker itself will far outlast its carabiner, which it's fair to say is on par with an average hardware store carabiner of the same size. I would have preferred to see HDMX create a speaker with a carabiner included, but optional, and therefore replaceable;
* Battery charge only lasts for 4 hours.
Click HERE if you can't see the short video demo above.