Different albums by the same artist will sometimes have different spellings of the artist's name. First, make sure you know what the correct spelling is. (Look at an album cover or go to the artist's website.) Then, fix the misspellings in iTunes by following these easy steps:
- Open iTunes, click the View menu and select "as List."
- Select View>Column Browser (Mac or PC) (Fig. 2).
- In the Column Browser make sure that the following are checked:
- On Top
- Group Compilations
- In the Column Browser, make sure that "genre" is not checked.
- In the list view, inspect the Artist column at the top of the screen and look for any artist that appears twice (Fig. 3). Look for misspelled names.
- In the Albums column, select the album or albums associated with the misspelled artist and open the Item Information dialog box (Command-I on the Mac; Control-I on the PC).
- Click "Yes" in the resulting dialog box that asks "Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple items."
- Finally, type the correct spelling of the artist's name in the Artists edit box and click "OK."
The incorrectly spelled entry in the Artist column in the Column Browser will disappear! Repeat this procedure until you are satisfied that you have no misspelled artist names.