As you add apps to your iPhone or iPod touch, they appear as icons on the Home screen. When the Home screen is full, a second screen is added which can accept icons for another 16 apps. You can have a total of 11 screens holding 176 apps (including the apps built into the iPhone).
By default, app icons are added to these Home screens in the order they are installed. The pre-installed apps (Messages, Calendar, Photos, etc.) appear on the first screen; apps you download from iTunes fill up that Home screen first then appear on subsequent screens. If you've installed a lot of apps, it can be difficult to find them.
Fortunately, you can rearrange app icons so that the order makes more sense to you. For example, you can arrange them in alphabetical order or place all the games on one screen and utilities on another. You could also place your most-used apps on the first Home screen and your least used apps on the last. The easiest way to do this is from iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone/iPod touch to your Mac or PC and open iTunes.
- After syncing is complete, click on your device, which is listed under DEVICES in the left-hand column.
- Open the Applications tab and make sure Sync Applications is checked.
- Click on the icon you want to move and hold down on the mouse button.
- Drag the icon to the desired position in the desired Home screen.
- When you're finished moving the icons around, click on the "Apply" button and iTunes will sync the changes with the iPhone/iPod touch.