Until the release of iTunes 9, the computer you used to purchase music from the iTunes Store was the computer the music lived on. It was possible to play it on another computer, but you had to jump through some hoops to do so. iTunes 9 includes a feature called Home Sharing that allows you to share music, videos, and other media on up to five authorized computers in your home network. Here’s how it works:
- Open up iTunes 9 on your computer.
- Select “Home Sharing” in the left sidebar. (If it’s not visible, click on the “Advanced” menu and select “Turn On Home Share.”) This displays the Home Sharing screen.
- Enter your iTunes user name and password, and then click “Create Home Share.”
- Repeat these steps for each computer with which you want to share music.
- To import items from another computer, select the computer from the list below “Shared” in the left sidebar and drag the desired songs from its library to yours.