Before you can enjoy the music on your iOS device, you have to put some on it. Here's how you download music to your device:
Purchase music through your iOS device:
- Open iTunes on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.
- Tap on Music.
- Choose a song or songs by browsing through the New Releases, Top Tens, and Genres. You can also tap on the search bar to look for a specific song or artists.
- Tap on the price to make the Buy Now command appear.
- Tap on Buy Now, and enter your Apple username and password when prompted. The song will appear in your iPod app or Music folder.
Purchase music through iTunes on your computer:
- Open iTunes.
- Click on iTunes Store on the left panel.
- Click on the Music tab along the top of the screen.
- Browse through the different charts to find the song, album or songs you want. You can also use the search bar at the top right of the screen to find the artist or song name directly.
- Click on song or album price to download it to your computer. Enter your Apple username and password when it prompts you.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Click on your device name.
- Click on the Music tab along the top of the screen and check the Sync Music box.
- Click on Apply (or Sync) at the bottom right. Your songs will now transfer into your device.
Import existing music into iTunes
You may have digital music you purchased from other sources or ripped from CDs you own. You can import that music into iTunes and then sync it with your iOS device. Here's how you do it:
- Make sure the music files are on your Mac or PC.
- Open iTunes and click on File in the top menu bar.
- Select Add File to Library or Add Folder to Library; a browser screen will pop up.
- Browse to the location of the music file or to a folder containing music you want to import into iTunes.
- Select a music file and click on the Open button, or
- Click on a folder and then click on the Select Folder button.
- At this point, if the music files are in a format that iTunes does not recognize, you will be asked if you want to convert it to a useable format; answer Yes.
Preview songs or open the album content
If you're purchasing music from the iTunes store on your Mac or PC, you can preview each song or look through the content of each album before you make the purchase. If you're purchasing songs from iTunes on your device, tap once on individual songs to hear a short preview. If the song is in an album, tap on the album to display a list of the songs in it. Then tap on an individual song to play the preview. (Tap on the song again if you want to stop the preview.)