When you're browsing the web and find a site you want to revisit, you'll want to bookmark it. Here's how you do it on your iOS device:
- Open Safari and browse to the desired Web page.
- On the iPhone, tap on the "+" icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- On the iPod touch or iPad, tap on the Action button (it looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it) and tap the Save Bookmark button in the pop-up menu. On the iPod touch, it's located in the bottom center of the screen, on the iPad in the top left.
- Tap on Add Bookmark in the pop-up menu to display the Add Bookmark window. If desired, change the bookmark's name. (It's sometimes useful to shorten them.)
- Tap on the Save button in the top right to complete the process. Your bookmark will be saved in the general bookmarks folder in your device.
Transferring bookmarks from your computer:
You can sync your Safari and Internet Explorer bookmarks to your device through iTunes. Follow these steps:
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and wait until iTunes is finished syncing.
- Click on your device's name in the left column of iTunes.
- Click on the Info tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Sync bookmarks" check box.
- Select your computer's browser from the list.
- Click on the Sync button in the bottom right corner of the page to complete the process.
Transferring bookmarks from Firefox:
You can indirectly sync bookmarks from Firefox or other Web browsers with your iOS device. Note that you must also have Safari or Internet Explorer installed on your computer. Here's how you do it using Firefox (instructions for other browsers will vary):
- Open Firefox on your computer.
- Click on Bookmarks >Organize Bookmarks. This will open the Firefox Bookmark Library. Click on the Import and Backup button, and then click on Export HTML.
- Choose a file location and click on Save. Firefox will save the bookmarks to a file named bookmarks.html.
- Import the bookmarks file into the desktop computer version of Safari or Internet Explorer.
- Safari: Click on File >Import Bookmarks. Locate the bookmarks file, and click on Import.
- Internet Explorer 7 or 8: Press Alt+Z and then click on Import and Export. Click on Import from a File and check the Favorites box (IE's name for Bookmarks). Locate the file and click Next. The Bookmarks will be stored under the Favorites folder.
- Follow the instructions above for transferring bookmarks from your computer using iTunes.