Any iOS device with a camera
There are many programs available for the Mac and PC that let you add sound tracks to video clips captured by your iOS device. However, that involves exporting video to your computer, adding a soundtrack, and transferring the clip back to your iOS device. None of the built-in apps let you do this on the iOS device.
However, there are third-party apps available for this. One of the best is iMovie ($4.99, app2.me/2551), which is available for the iPhone 4, iPad 2, and the gen 4 iPod touch. iMovie lets you edit your videos; add themes, titles, and music; and share them in various sizes including HD. There isn’t a version of iMovie available for the iPad, but a version is available for the iPad 2. Assuming you already have a video clip, here’s how to add music to it using iMovie:
- Open iMovie.
- Tap on the Add icon to start a new project (a “+” sign on the top right corner).
- Tap on a theme you want but leave the Theme Music switch in the OFF position.
- Tap on Done.
- Tap on the Import icon (on the left side of the screen; it looks like a square with an arrow pointing downward).
- Tap on the video you want to add music to. You will see the video file drop down into the timeline.
- Tap on the Import icon again.
- Tap on Audio on the bottom right of the screen. You will see all your music ordered by Playlists, Albums, Artists, etc, in addition to iMovie’s Theme Music that comes with each theme.
- Choose the music file you want to use. You will see it drop down into the timeline.
- Tap on the video clip to show the editing bars, and hold down the circles on either end to shorten or lengthen the clip to fit the length of the song. Alternatively, you can shorten the song to fit the size of the video clip.
- When finished, tap on the Projects icon to return to the projects screen (the Projects icon is the one on the top left of the screen with the star inside).
Use landscape mode to edit video
Turn your iPhone or iPod touch sideways to use iMovie in landscape mode. This will make it easier to edit your clip because you will be able to see more of the timeline at one time.