By Nate Adcock on Sun, 05/13/2012
One of my fav news reader apps (see our Appy Geek review here) got an update last week. The only thing that jumped out at me on iPad was additional footer ads that now appear (which seemed to disappear by changing screen orientation). Apparently, there are more features under the hood now for iPhone/iPod touch. Things like a new "Word Cloud" feature that I still don't quite understand, but maybe the added PR release below will help explain better than I can...
"Boston, MA – May 8, 2012 – Mobiles Republic, a leading publisher of applications for smartphones, tablets and connected devices, today announces the releases of Appy Geek 2.0 for Android Smartphone and iPhone, and Glam Life 2.0 for Android Smartphone, iPhone and iPad. This announcement follows the March release of News Republic 2.0, and marks the premiere of Glam Life on the iPad platform.
Appy Geek and Glam Life, specifically designed for technology enthusiasts and celebrity/fashion newshounds respectively, have been revamped with a more elegant, mosaic-based interface and several new features, including photo and video galleries, enhanced customization options and a social media feature that allows users to express their “moods” about the articles as they read.
“We are very encouraged by the positive feedback that News Republic 2.0 has received for its elegant design, improved interface and robust feature set, and expect the new releases of Appy Geek and Glam Life to strike a similar chord,” said Gilles Raymond, CEO of Mobiles Republic. “The launch of Glam Life 2.0 for the iPad is also an exciting milestone for the company, and we look forward to introducing the app to a whole new audience of fashionistas and celebrity watchers.”
APPY Geek is a free news aggregate app that was specially designed for technology enthusiasts, delivering thousands of full articles each day from leading tech blogs and sites, including T3, TabTimes, Tech Radar, The Next Web, Tom’s Hardware and many more. The app allows users to create customized “myNews” channels that filter this mass of information down to their exact topics of interest (ex. “Ice Cream Sandwich,” “Windows 8,” “Kindle Fire”).
Glam Life is a free app that delivers breaking celebrity news and gossip, fashion scoops and glamour tips from a variety of blogs and news outlets, including Disneyrollergirl, Fashion TV, HitFix, The Daily Muse, WENN and many more. Like Appy Geek, the app allows users to create customized “myNews” channels in order to filter news related to their favorite celebrity/fashion topics (ex. “Brad Pitt,” “Dior collection,” “Miami parties”).
Appy Geek and Glam Life 2.0 features include:
- Completely redesigned interface: simpler, cleaner and smarter than ever
- Brand new photo and video galleries
- New “Moods” category that allows you to express their feelings on any topic and read the articles with the most reactions
- Custom alerts on all your favorite topics
- Even easier personalization: search and add new topics to your homepage in a heartbeat
- Option to filter any news channel by "date", "moods" or "videos only"
- Ability to select and unselect news sources for all your channels and for "All news"
- TagNav™-driven “Word Clouds” that help you to research topics related to your favorite articles
- Links to other stories and videos related to the article you just read
- Social media optimization that lets you share articles via email, Twitter or Facebook
Both apps are available for free download in the “News” section of iTunes Appstore and the “News & Magazines” category on Google Play.