By Sarah Kingsbury updated on 03/10/2015Master your iPhone and iPad: Sign up here to get our FREE Tip of the Day delivered right to your inbox.
Messages, emails, notes, reminders, there are so many ways to give your thumbs a workout while using an iPhone. Getting your iPhone typing up to speed can be a real time saver. Here are a few suggestions that will have you thumbing out messages speedily and with ease:
1. Practice. The more you type with your phone, the faster you will get. This is why teenagers, who communicate almost exclusively via text, can type entire novels to their friends under the dinner table in-between taking bites of casserole and ignoring your attempts to bond with them.
2. Type in landscape mode. The more spacious keyboard may make it easier for you to type quickly and accurately. Especially if you have larger hands.
3. Hold and slide for punctuation, symbols, and capitals. This is much faster than tapping the number and capitalization buttons and then tapping the symbol or letter you need.
4. Trust in auto correct. The auto correct feature is surprisingly accurate. Type as fast as you like and most of the time auto correct will fix your mistakes. Just make sure to proofread before you hit send or you may end up on Damn You Auto Correct!
5. Work around auto correct. Is there a word you use frequently that auto correct keeps "correcting" when you don't want it to? You can work around this by creating a shortcut. Just go to Settings>Keyboard>Add New Shortcut. Enter the word you don't want corrected in the Phrase field, but leave the Shortcut field blank.
6. Dictate your message. Technically it's not typing, but it will get your message written fast; and that's the point, right?