By Todd Bernhard on Wed, 03/11/2009
Apple just released (within the past half hour) iTunes 8.1 and it seems to be "zippier".
They also have a new system for App Store reviews, where you can filter reviews by a particular version.
The primary enhancements for iTunes 8.1 relate to the new iPod Shuffle, introduced today, but there are quite a few other new features. Here's the Readme:
What's new in iTunes 8.1
iTunes 8.1 is now faster and more responsive. You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing.
In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides many other improvements and bug fixes, including:
• Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation)
• Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ
• Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows
• Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs
• Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods
• Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus
• Includes many accessibility improvements
• Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls
iTunes 8.1 requirements
• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, G4, or G3 processor
• Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater.
• Playing videos from the iTunes Store requires a Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor
• Playing HD-quality videos from the iTunes Store requires a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB is required to play HD-quality videos
• Playing videos also requires at least 16MB of video RAM
• A broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
• An Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work.
• An Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work.
• Mac OS X version 10.4.10 or later
• QuickTime 7.5.5 or later is required
• 200MB of available disk space
iPod and iPhone:
• Syncing purchased videos requires iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod classic, iPod (5th generation) with software version 1.2 or later, iPod touch, or iPhone
• Transferring rented movies requires iPod nano (3rd generation) and iPod classic with software version 1.1 or later or iPod touch and iPhone with iPhone software version 1.1.3 or later
• Syncing ringtones requires iPhone software version 1.1 or later
• Purchasing or syncing applications require an iPhone or iPod touch with the iPhone 2.0 Software Update or later
• Purchasing from the iTunes Music Store for iPhone or iPod touch requires iPhone software version 1.1.1 or later
• Syncing iPod Games requires iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod classic, or iPod (5th generation) with software version 1.2 or later. Some iPod Games may not be compatible with iPod nano (3rd generation) and iPod classic
Nike + iPod:
• Nike + iPod requires a Nike + iPod Sport Kit or Sensor, a compatible iPod, and Nike+ ready shoes or compatible gym equipment
• Nike + iPod is compatible with iPod nano and iPod touch (2nd generation). iPod nano (1st generation) must have software version 1.2 or later
• To see your complete workout history on nikeplus.com, an Internet connection and a free Nike.com account are required
• Renting or purchasing using Apple TV requires Apple TV software version 2.0 or later
• HD movies from the iTunes Store are designed exclusively for Apple TV and may not be transferred to iTunes
AirPort Express with AirTunes:
• Playing your music with one or more AirPort Express base stations requires AirPort Express software version 6.3 or later
• AirPort Express with AirTunes requires an AirPort or AirPort Extreme card and a compatible stereo system or powered speakers