Apple unveiled the newest member of the iPhone family today at its headquarters in Cupertino, California: the iPhone 4S.
Expectation was building to massive proportions before the event, with many expecting Apple to unveil an "iPhone 5."
Apple instead unveiled a very impressive series of features built into their new iPhone 4S, and it'll be available starting October 14th, with pre-ordering starting Oct 7th. Here are the main features:
- Same form factor as the iPhone 4
- Available on Sprint, AT&T, Verizon
- $199 for 16GB model, $299 for 32 GB model, $399 for 64 GB model
- A5 processor (same as the iPad 2)
- 8MP camera
- 1080p HD video
- Improved battery life (8 hours of talk time on 3G)
- Siri Assistant feature: recognizes your voice, responds naturally to requests and questions, supports dictation.
- Wired and wireless mirroring to Apple TV (great for playing games on the big screen)
- iCloud keeps all your photos and files synced across devices
- iTunes Match: Matches your music collection and syncs it
- Ships with iOS 5, with over 200 improvements to notifications, Game Center, Reader View for browsing the web and more.
Announced were also reduced prices for the iPhone 4, with a new 8GB version starting at $99, and the iPhone 3GS for Free, with new wireless service contract.
Many people (including myself) were hoping that Apple would unveil and new re-designed iPhone 5 with a bigger screen and different form factor. Still, the features on the iPhone 4S are impressive and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one soon :-)